Cut-down day is here and many young Packer hopefuls are getting a knock on the door that signals the dream is at an end. A few names have already trickled out but so far no surprises. Very soon, we will know the Packers’ final roster for 2017. The season is here and Packers football is upon us. Here are my picks for the final 53.
Coach McCarthy has made it clear that he would like to keep four quarterbacks in the building. So while some believe the Packers played Hundley so much in the pre-season was so that they could be comfortable with just two qb’s…I disagree. I think the Pack keeps three and floats one that they think they can get back.
1. Aaron Rodgers – No comment
2. Brett Hundley – Despite his struggles, the Packers coaching staff believes he can step in if needed.
3. Taysom Hill – Hill scored touchdowns…while Callahan ran for his life. Callahan to the P.S.
Running Back (5)
1. Ty Montgomery – Montgomery looks ready to rock after shaking the rust off against the Eagles
2. Jamaal Williams – Williams has not shown much of late but it seems the Packers still like him for three downs.
3. Aaron Jones – Jones’ 8 rushes for 48 yards and the one yard touchdown catch on a terribly thrown ball get him the job. The Packers hope to get Mays on the practice squad. After last season, the Packers know they need a big enough stable of running backs but can swing Rip into play if necessary.
4. Aaron Ripkowski – Rip showed last year that he is more than a good fullback.
5. Joe Kerridge – Kerridge showed that he is more than just a special teamer.
Wide Receiver (7)
1. Jordy Nelson
2. Randall Cobb
3. Davante Adams
4. Trevor Davis – Geronimo Allison is suspended and in concussion protocol and Davis may end up behind Janis but he had a great camp and answered the punt returner question for us.
5. Jeff Janis – Had a great camp and is part of a special teams unit that could be really good this year.
6. Max McCafferey – McCaffery got a shot at returning punts last week. Makes me think the Packers want to keep him around.
7. DeAngelo Yancey – This was a tough one as Malachai Dupre has been a favorite of mine. But I think the injury to Dupre makes him less “out there” in terms of the film and the Packers may risk him in hopes of getting him on the practice squad. One has to figure in how high they drafted Yancey too. This will be the hardest and saddest discussion today.
Tight End (3)
2. Richard Rodgers – Those who think the Packers cut Rodgers are crazy. He is listed number two on day one. Just listen to what Aaron Rodgers has said about him.
3. Lance Kendricks – Kendricks is going to be a nice add…but has done little in the pre-season. I’m sure he has been great in practice but like last year when Richard Rodgers started the year ahead of Cook on the depth chart, Kendricks earns reps as the year goes along. And he needs to catch balls that he gets both hands on, Rodgers does.
Offensive Line (8)
1. David Bakhtiari – I saw someone comment that they hope the Packers cut Bakhti…I can only assume that person watches the Packers in braille.
2. Lane Taylor – Lane Taylor was a fantastic surprise last year and was responsible for Aaron Rodgers being upright to throw the last-second pass to Jared Cook in the Divisional Round game against the Cowboys last year. He is looking even better this year.
3. Corey Linsley
4. Jahri Evans – I watched Evans last year and said that he could lay 300 pound D-linemen on their backs. Didn’t take long for him to prove he still has it.
5. Brian Bulaga – Presuming Bulaga stays healthy, there is no reason to believe he doesn’t have the same kind of season he had last year, which was stellar.
6. Kyle Murphy – As of right now Murphy is a better player than Spriggs.
7. Jason Spriggs – The Packers just have too much invested to give up on Spriggs. Spriggs will either help the Packers save face or get the O-line coach fired.
8. Don Barclay – The Packers’ coaching staff can’t get enough of Barclay and right now…he does look like one of our best back-ups…mainly because he hasn’t been on the field. But Barclay should be getting pretty healthy with all the rest and we need a backup center with Patrick’s injury. Patrick to P.S.
Defensive Line (5)
1. Mike Daniels
2. Dean Lowery
3. Kenny Clark
4. Ricky Jean Fracois
5. Christian Ringo
1. Nick Perry
2. Clay Matthews
3. Ahmad Brooks
4. Kyler Fackrell
5. Reggie Gilbert
6. Jake Ryan
7. Blake Martinez
8. Joe Thomas
1. Davon House
2. Kevin King
3. Damarious Randall
4. Quinten Rollins
5. Josh Hawkins
1. Ha Ha Clinton-Dix
2. Morgan Burnett
3. Kentrell Brice
4. Marwin Evans
5. Josh Jones 6.
Special Teams (3)
1. Justin Vogel
2. Mason Crosby
3. Brett Goode
PUP – Vince Biegel
I/R designated – Montravious Adams
Suspended – Geronimo Allison (week one)
Jordan Tripp, Malachai Dupre, Lenzy Pipkins, Michael Clark, Kofi Amichia, Lucas Patrick, Donatello Brown, Joe Callahan, Devante Mays, Ladarius Gunter