Well draft day is here! Packers fans are sitting on the edge of their seats, biting nails with bated breath hoping the Packers get a chance to pick their favorite college prospect at pick number 21. It’s fun, it’s exciting…and it is a VERY important day for the Packers today. The decisions called in today (that have been made over the course of the entire offseason) will shape the Packers team and fuel the Packers success for years to come.
But there is one thing that many of the draftniks and ALL of the Sports TV and radio are missing right now. This one thing is what I am going to be watching this particular draft for…and I can’t wait! So what is it? What do I see when I look beyond the hype?
All of the TV coverage on NFL Network and ESPN is about how Round One and particularly, the top ten picks will go. This makes sense because there are some real playmakers there and the possibility of a trade makes for some serious TV drama. And Packers fans know that at pick 21 we are going to get some real help, hopefully for the defense which was a weakness last season. But personally, I am most interested in seeing who Ted Thompson drafts in the second through forth rounds this season. Yes, I know…the player we get at pick 21 is gonna be exciting. But I TRULY believe that rounds 2-4 of this year’s draft are going to yield a perennial playmaker for the Pack. This draft has more first round graded players than there has probably been for ten years and what that means is that Green Bay will have later options that can be serious playmakers. Add to that the fact that, to me, Ted Thompson’s strength has not so much been his first round choices (Aaron Rodgers was great but other than that…) but his later picks. I think this draft really plays into his hands and I can’t wait to see who he selects at numbers53, 85, 98, and 121. He could literally find a top 100 player at 121 this year. Here’s what I am thinking:
- This is an A class wide receiver group. Does Aaron get another weapon, a guy who lights it up in the Super Bowl in the near future?
- Will the O-line get help and we shore up the line that will protect our franchise quarterback?
- If Clinton Dix and Pryor are off the board and the Packers help the pass rush in the first round…keep the names Bucannon, Joyner, Reynolds, and Ward in mind. May not be the immediate boost but any of these guys could give the defensive backfield a boost.
- Somewhere in here…does Chris Borland or Jared Abbrederis end up a Packer? I think either one of those Badgers can be a playmaker.
- Does Ted pick up some guy late that we look back in a few years and call him a steal? I think it could happen and be outside any of the above scenarios.
- I would not be at all surprised if the Packers pick a qb in this draft. I know what you’re thinking…STUPID! It’s not a need but TT is a best player available guy and he would be thinking of a guy that he can develop for a possible trade.
Well it’s anybody’s guess who will be available in later rounds of this year’s draft, which is why few are talking about it. But while I can’t wait to see who our first round draft choice is, I think it is VERY likely that this draft yields one or more later round gems for Green Bay.