Well, the preseason has begun and the Packers have their first preseason game this coming Saturday
- It is the first chance to see the Packers in action
- I’m gonna be at the game!
Everybody says that the preseason doesn’t matter…WRONG. While it is true that the scores of the preseason games don’t matter and the wins and losses make no difference whatsoever, the games themselves are critical to the final evaluation of the players. Now, am I saying that the coaches need four preseason games to evaluate? Probably not, in fact a lot of coaches have said that they think there are too many preseason games but that doesn’t change the fact that the very BEST way to determine whether a player should stay or be cut is to watch them in live action versus a live opponent.
Here are three things that I am gonna have my eye on in this game:
- The center exchanges – is everything smooth, are there any hiccups? The relationship between the quarterback and center is crucial and regardless of who is first string (likely Tretter), it will be a new player this year.
- The play of the tight ends – is someone gonna lock up the position? The tight ends are called upon to do a lot (run routes, catch passes, run block, and pass pro) and the Packers need a replacement for Jermichael Finley. Will they find it?
- Do we get pressure on the quarterback? The Packers got Julius Peppers and have several first round draft picks on the defensive line and at the linebacker position, do those moves translate to quarterback pressures? Quarterback pressure is going to be crucial to the Packers winning an NFC North that features some of the best quarterback/receiver combos in the league.
So there are a few things that I will be looking for, there are a million more things to wonder about, all of which are beginning to come clear and will hopefully culminate in a successful start to the 2014 season.
What will you be watching for? Let me know in the comments section below…and GO PACK!!!